mardi 9 avril 2019

Unlocked phone question

I recently purchased an unlocked Galaxy S9 on Swappa. Received it yesterday, and it is unlocked as noted. My current carrier is AT&T, and based on what was on this S9 it was originally on Sprint. I have some questions that have popped up when setting this up (this is the first time I've dealt with an unlocked phone).

When I got the phone I reset it, then dropped in my SIM card. The SIM card wasn't originally working/connecting, so I went to bed figuring I'd contact AT&T in the morning. Woke up this morning and there was a software update available. So I ran that, several AT&T apps were downloaded on the phone, and the SIM card worked (I don' know if the SIM card working was related to the update, or if it finally started working overnight, as I didn't check before running the update).

1) Is it typical that a bunch of AT&T software would be downloaded on an unlocked phone? It was everything from MyAT&T to CandyCrush. I was always under the impression that one of the advantages of unlocked phones was the lack of carrier crud. If Sprint crud had been present I would not have been surprised, but I wasn't expecting AT&T to add a bunch. If the carriers can do this, what is the point of buying something like an unlocked phone directly from Samsung (one never associated with a carrier)?

2) Who is responsible for the software updates/where do they come from? I've gotten the one update so far, but it is not the most recent (I don't have Pie, nor the more recent security patches). If I go into the phone to search for an update it says there are none available. Do updates only go through once a day or something?

3) I keep getting notifications to turn on WiFi Calling, and then it fails when I try. AT&T says that since it wasn't originally purchased from them then the phone will not support this feature. Is this correct?


from Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com - Ask a Question http://bit.ly/2D9le93
via IFTTT

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire