jeudi 28 juin 2018

Hidden, nameless browser mysteriously prevents me from changing default browser

As of a few days ago, presumably after the latest system upgrade done on my Xperia XP, all links on my phone are opened in a small, portable browser with no discernable name. Even in the Facebook browser, where there used to be an option to "Open in Chrome," it now simply says "Open in" and redirects to the portable browser that just opens a window in the middle of the screen without an adress bar or any options.

The default browser options in Chrome's app settings are grayed out and disabled, and setting Chrome as the default browser through the "Default Apps" section in the settings seems to do absolutely nothing, as this "Browser X" somehow seems to manage to override the system settings.

Since I don't know the name of this intruding default Browser X, I can't find it in the apps, nor the system files. I've checked the usual aliases, "Browser," "Internet," and "com.android.browser," but there is no such thing no matter where I look. It's not even listed in the section of default browsers. It's like this browser is a parasitic lifeform that manages to somehow hide in an inaccessible folder.

I've done a malware scan, but nothing came up. I've also done an extensive amount of Googling the problem, but I the only account I could find that was slightly similar to this was a post from 2017 in this forum where someone couldn't change their browser from Chrome to Firefox. The fix in that case was to disable Chrome, but I can't disable an app that seemingly doesn't even exist, so I'm kind of at a loss here.

I want to open links in a proper browser, Chrome in my case, because Browser X is so limited and small that it can rarely even muster to load a page if it has images on it, and can't play embedded videos because it lacks those capabilities. It's outright garbage, and it stands in the way of me using my phone as I want.

Please help me eradicate this enigmatic menace. Nothing would make me happier.


from Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com - Ask a Question https://ift.tt/2tKGQDf
via IFTTT

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire